Tuesday 1 June 2010

Top 5 World Cup Logos

First things first: and I don’t mean why am I starting with something not really about the best World Cup tackles that nearly killed someone but didn’t even result in a booking. Mainly because Toni Schumacher’s assault on Battiston in the 1982 finals makes it a non-contest. But no, more football-football later, the first Top 5 is logos. Yeah, you think it seems a bit weak reading it, imagine thinking it was a good idea and getting to *pauses to count sentences* fifth sentence and realising this might be a bit wank.

As ever I haven’t stuck to saying what the first thing was at the beginning – even though I went to the length of saying ‘first things first’. So, first things about third: this is the Top 5 World Cup Logos. Not the posters. The logos. I want that to be clear. I recognise that the France 98 poster is pretty good, for something French, but it’s a pretty poor logo. And please feel free to google them, I’m not going to include an image of everything I reference.

And so to...THE TOP 5 WORLD CUP LOGOS!




1. Mexico 1986

Let’s get this straight – a lot of what I write is going to be biased by things like my age. Mexico 86 is the first world cup I remember, but as much as that might influence a lot of factors it doesn’t really come into play here. This is a class logo, a bit like an old BBC logo. . Quite basic and good lettering.



2. Mexico 1970

Not only is Mexico coming in at number one impressive – given they were late replacement hosts to the ’86 finals – its also part of an historic 1-2. Just look at this bad boy, both of its time but modern too (in a retro 1970-ish way, clearly). The Mexicans clearly do good logo. This is despite them framing ‘honest’ Bobby Moore by putting some jewellery in his bag, I would like to link this up to the Roy of The Rovers picture story of this even but sadly I got rid of my football comic collection in my late 20s before it started to look sad.

3. Italia 90

Simple and stylish – typically Itallian. That’s how I’d describe a lot of Italian clubs’ kits. I’d be lying if this is the phrase I would use to describe this though. This one is purely here because of what the 1990 finals meant to me. And sadly lots of other people who are wankers, but there you go. I’ll be honest I should probably have done World Cup posters: researching this has made me realise they are far superior. On the other hand, though, I know nothing about art so I’d just be talking rubbish trying to describe the style.

4. Argentina 1978

The other thing of course is that the logos weren’t really logos for the first few tournaments: they were just posters (emphasising how I should have done posters instead). The Switzerland ’54 one is too Swiss, but maybe could have got away with it had it just been the red and white logo with the Swiss flag and the year. Or something. Because of all the writing it looks too Swizz whereas this gem is very Argentinean without being too Argentinean – like Gabriel Batistuta.


5. Spain 1982

This is by default. I needed five. If truth be told I don’t really care for Argentina 1978 either. But I’d started writing this and didn’t feel like turning back. So, I thought I’d make the last one a rubbish one as - in some ways – that’s what the World Cup is about. But do you go rubbish-rubbish or really rubbish? See the latter is what recent logos have all been about. Jesus, the Germany 2006 one is poor. Ok, you’ve got a past of evil and that but for fuck’s sake there is being too nice. You don’t have to be The Teletubbies to appeal to kids. In fact I could stomach the Germany one had it come from Korea and Japan (I am talking about the 2006 logo here, not you know ‘it’). But that logo is bad, as is the Korea one and the new one. But just bad. So it came as a toss-up between the USA 94 logo (Obviously obvious, like all American things) and the Spain 82 one. I’ve plumped for the latter because it’s like they did it at the last minute and rather than decide what to squeeze in they’ve just thrown it all in. I think if they’d not had the flags of the competitors fanned out in the background this one could have been ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment